Drenching Nursery Crops Safety – Worker Protection Safety
When drenching nursery crops, workers must be kept at least 100 feet away from the treated area.
True or False?
During drenching operations and until the expiration of the REI, workers and other persons must stay out of the treated area. (Only the treated area.)
The 100 foot restriction is for pesticides being applied:
- Aerially, or in an upward direction
- Using spray pressures greater than 150 psi
- Applying fumigants, smoke, mist, fog or aerosol
There is also a 25 foot restriction when pesticides are being applied:
- Downward, from a height of more than 12 inches above the medium
- Using a fine spray
- At pressures greater than 40 psi and less than 150 psi
- Or other circumstances not listed in both sections above and yet the label of the product requires use of a respirator.
NOTE: The Special Greenhouse Restrictions apply to fumigants, fogs, etc and other situations where the labeling requires use of a respirator and generally encompass the entire enclosed area.